I am a PhD student at Stanford University, Civil and Environmental Engineering Department, Sustainable Design and Construction Program. I am conducting research under the supervision of Martin Fischer and Silvio Savarese (Computer Science Department, Computational Vision and Geometry Lab).
I am interested in interdisciplinary research between Civil Engineering and Computer Vision. My area of focus is understanding semantics in building life cycles and functional affordances using RGB and depth data.
Prior to enrolling in PhD program, I received a MEng in Architecture and Digital Design (University of Tokyo-2011), a MSc in Computer Science (Ionian University-2013),and a Diploma in Architectural Engineering (National Technical University of Athens-2009). I have also worked as an architect and consultant for both private and public sector.
|Address||Gates Computer Science, #128A, 353 Serra Mall, Stanford, CA 94305|
Apr 2017: I am excited to be awarded a 2017 Google PhD Fellowship in Machine Perception!
Jan 2017: The Joint 2D-3D-Semantic (2D-3D-S) Dataset is out! More than 70K images and 6 mutually registered modalities in 2D & 3D.
Dec 13th, 2016: I will be presenting a poster at the SCIEN Affiliates Meeting 2016 on Tuesday, December 13th.
Nov 18th, 2016: I will be presenting a 1-min spotilight and a poster at the Bay Area Robotics Symposium 2016 (BARS) on Friday, November 18th.
Oct 17th, 2016: I was invited to “The Modern Architect” radio show on FM 90.1 KZSU hosted by Tom Dioro to have a general discussion tailored for a broader audience about building parsing, what I’m working on, my thoughts, its potential and the AEC/FM industry in general.
Aug 2016: The Stanford Large-Scale Indoor Spaces 3D Dataset is now released. Visit here to download.
Jul 11th, 2016: Stanford Artificial Intelligence Laboratory's Outreach Summer program 2016 (SAILORS) is starting this Monday July 11th and we are expecting 24 bright students that will make our halls lively and buzzing for two full weeks.
Jun 29th, 2016: Our work on 3D Semantic Parsing of Large-Scale Indoor Spaces was featured in Stanford News: Stanford researchers automate process for acquiring detailed building information.
Jun 29th, 2016: We will be giving a demo at CVPR2016 on our 3D Building Parsing Results, on June 29th, 10.30AM-12.30PM, in Octavius Ballroom.
Jun 28th, 2016: I will give an oral presentation at CVPR2016 on Tuseday June 28th between 9.30AM and 10:00AM on our work on 3D Semantic Parsing of Large-Scale Indoor Spaces. After the talk we will also participate at the poster session (10.30AM - 12.30PM). Video
Awards & Scholarships
- Google PhD Fellowship, 2017
- CIFE Seed Research Awards for 2016-17, Center for Integrated Facility Engineering, Stanford University (Sep 2016 - June 2017), Funding for PhD Studies
- School of Engineering Fellowship, Stanford University (Sep 2015 - June 2016), Funding for PhD Studies
- Marie-Curie Fellow (Oct 2014 - Mar 2015), CIG: Automated As-Built Modelling of the Built Infrastructure, Funding for Graduate studies in UK
- Marie-Curie Fellow (Oct 2013 - Sep 2014), BIMAutoGen: International Research Staff Exchange Scheme, Funding for Graduate studies in UK
- MEXT Scholarship (Oct 2009 - Aug 2011), Japanese Government Scholarship (MEXT), For Graduate Studies in Japan
- 1st Prize(2010), Team project, Architectural Competition: Municipal Theatre of Corfu- Renovation of the facades and the entrance piazza
- 1st of 15 equal prizes (2008), Team project, Architectural Competition: SEGM Housing Competition for Fire Victims
- Socrates/Erasmus Scholarship (Feb 2007 - Jul 2007), For attending a 6 months exchange program
- I. Armeni, A. Sax, A. R. Zamir, S. Savarese, Joint 2D-3D-Semantic Data for Indoor Scene Understanding, arXiv preprint, 2017
- I. Armeni, O. Sener, A. R. Zamir, H. Jiang, I. Brilakis, M. Fischer, S. Savarese, "3D Semantic Parsing of Large-Scale Indoor Spaces", in IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) 2016 oral presentation.
- Patraucean, V., Armeni, I., Nahangi, M., Yeung, J., Brilakis, I. and Haas, C. (2015) "State of Research in Automatic As-Built Modelling", Advanced Engineering Informatics, Elsevier, February 2015
- L. Spedicato, I. Armeni, N.I. Giannoccaro, S. Papavlasopoulos, M. Avlonitis (2014) "A dynamic identification of a historical building using accelerometers with interface modules and a digital synchronization method", Proceedings of the Structural Monitoring of ARTistic and historical BUILding Testimonies International Conference (S.M.ART BUIL.T.), March 2014, Bari, IT
- Armeni, I., Chorianopoulos, K. (2013) "Pedestrian navigation and shortest path: Preference versus distance", Workshop Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Intelligent Environments 13 (IE'13), July 2013, GR
- Armeni, I., Bristogianni, T. (2010) Resume of the thesis "More than a machine" J. A. Coderch, Technical Chronicles, Bimonthly Publication of the Technical Chamber of Greece, Issue May - June 2010
Older Work: Selected Refereed Architectural Projects
- Armeni, I., Biloborodko, O., Ko, T. (2013) Research Design Project on Patterns and Digital Computation, "Patterns and Layering: Japanese Spatial Culture, Nature and Architecture", Liotta, S. J., Belfiore, M., (eds), 2012
- Armeni, I., Bristogianni, T., Tessas, C., Zerefos, S., (2013) "Municipal Theatre of Corfu: Renovation of the facades and the entrance piazza", 7th Biennale of Young Architects, Exhibition at Benaki Museum, November 2012, Athens, GR
- Armeni, I., Bristogianni, T., Tessas, C., Zerefos, S., (2013) Housing Design Project 95 sq. m., Prototype Housing for the rehabilitation of the victims of the extended fires of August 2007, ETAEA, Hellenic Association of Consulting Firms, Bank of Greece Publications, January 2009, Athens, GR