Spring '09 - present: Graduate Research Assistant, Center for Computational Learning Systems (CCLS), Columbia University, NY
- built systems to extract different types of power relations from written dialog
- introduced a new multiclass SVM method, obtaining 10% error reduction on dialog act tagging
- developed a system to automatically detect overt displays of power in written dialog
- built a system to detect committed belief and other modalities expressed in text
Summer ‘14: Software Engineering Intern, Local Question Answering, Google, NY.
- implemented a system to extract representative menu Items from restaurant reviews
Summer '13: Research Intern, IBM Watson/DeepQA, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, NY.
- boosted negation detection performance (F-score) by 26.9% in WatsonMD
- refined relation extraction pipeline, improving WatsonMD Q&A accuracy by 2.4%
Summer '12: Research Scientist Intern, Collaborative Applications Research Dept., Avaya Labs, NJ.
- built a system to rank political candidates based on the interactions in presidential debates
Summer '11: Research Intern, Semantic Heart, Siemens Corporate Research, NJ.
- built a biomedical relation extraction system using distant supervision
Summer '09: Research Programmer. Columbia Center for Computational Learning Systems (CCLS), Columbia University, NY
- built a system to evaluate annotators for Arabic dialect modeling
Aug ’04 - Jul ‘08: Assistant Systems Engineer, TATA Consultancy Services Limited (TCSL), Chennai, India.
- developed and maintained software for Citibank credit cards